Pet travel outside EU, USA and Canada

Pet travel outside EU, USA and Canada

Exports outside of the EU, USA and Canada

Exporting your pet overseas can be surprisingly complicated and expensive.

Some countries require a number of steps that need to be carefully timed to ensure you meet all the requirements.
The laws are very strict and the slightest error, missed vaccination, treatment or abnormal blood result, can result in you being unable to travel and the inconvenience and cost associated with that.

Every country has different rules and regulations and these frequently change.
For this reason we are unable to advise you on the requirements for export. If you are thinking of exporting or travelling with your pet to a country outside of the EU/USA or Canada you must contact the following authorities to check the requirements.

  • DEFRA in this country to arrange the export paperwork (the Export Healh Certificate)
  • The appropriate department in the country to which you are travelling to arrange import paperwork, Defra should be able to give you the details.
  • Defra Central Exports can be contacted on 01228 403 600

It is your responsibility to ensure you have the correct documentation and are aware of the requirements for travel. We will not accept any responsibility regarding requirements for travel.
We strongly advise that you start this process several months before travel and definitely at least once month before travel.

You should aim to get a specimen Export Health Certificate paperwork as soon as possible.

Once you have this paperwork we advise an appointment with one of our vets to go through the paperwork to ensure you can meet all the requirements and schedule any additional treatments.

Due to the complexity of some exports if we do not go through the specimen paperwork in this way at least a month before the export date, or your pet fails to meet some of the requirements, we may not be able to assist in your pets export, in this case we would recommend the use of one of the companies that provides a complete export service.

The actual Export Health Certificate will be sent directly to us close to the date of export and we usually need to do a final health check very close to the date of export and fill in the paperwork.

There is a charge of between £74.28 (Level 1 countries where the export requirements are straightforward) and £123.38 (level 2 countries including Australia, New Zealand, China, South Africa and those with more detailed requirements, please note this list is not exhaustive) for this as it is time consuming. There will be additional charges for any treatments/ tests required to meet the requirements.

The contact details for Defra’s Central Operations Unit for Exports, the government body that arranges the export paperwork in the UK is:

Tel: 01228 403600
Fax: 01228 591900
Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday 08:30 – 17:00, Friday: 08:30 – 16:30

Please note: this information is subject to change, for the most up to date information please contact us, DEFRA and the corresponding government department for the country you intend to travel to.